Tired of the same bland dinner salad and sandwich? Spice it up with this super quick and healthy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta. A super creamy and cheesy dinner inspired by the Mad About Food Blog!
We always go a little overboard with spices, probably the best part of any dinner meal are sprinkling those spices on to add that little tangy and spicy kick.
We also added a little baguette, this recipe can be turned into a creamy soup too, a tomato butternut squash soup. Most of the time , restaurant tomato soups contain creamer and dairy products. This recipe is super creamy and has absolutely no dairy! The butternut squash makes it super creamy and the nutritional yeast adds that cheesiness we get from those restaurant soups. The best part is that the ingredients are all healthy (as long as you keep that salt balanced of course!). Its also a great idea to let it simmer over low heat for a bit for extra water to evaporate so it thickens up!
We started by laying out all the vegetables on a baking tray with aluminum foil (make sure your butternut is frozen!!!)
After you have everything combined you just need to pop it in the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Personally we like to rotate the vegetables 10 minutes in so all the ends evenly cook, but of course this is optional!
Once its all baked, make sure to let the vegetables cool down a little. From your previous cooking pasta take 1 cup of pasta water and pour it into your blender. Once this is done add in the warm vegetables (make sure they aren’t hot!!!) and blend until a smooth sauce is created!
We are using the Nutribulle, the full size! It is absolutely amazing it has a bunch of options for blending and also makes the best smoothie bowls!
This is the finished sauce, it is pretty thick and creamy, you should be able to scoop out a tomato soup type of consistency. When it looks like this you know its ready!
Now in the pot you were using for your pasta, poor the sauce and enjoy that drizzle!! As we mentioned, personally prefer letting this cook a little longer just so it gets thicker, that’s preference of course. We also like to add some tomato paste or marinara to add extra kicks, but this alone is amazing! We decided to add the extra seasoning and even some chili flakes (we love the kick!). This recipe is absolutely amazing!
Here’s a little look at the recommended consistency of the sauce!
Super creamy, and already thick enough. It really just depends on how much water you add. We used 1 cup of pasta water, you can even use half. By adding half you won’t need to wait for the sauce to cook since it would already be thick enough!
You can also add in some spaghetti or even some zucchini noodles! We recently tried the black bean noodles, they’re pretty good as long as you don’t mind the bumpy texture! Zucchini noodles have been making an impression in many restaurants, even zucchini fries in fast food restuarants like Red Robin! Definitely excited to see all the new vegan options! Before, you could barely get a vegetarian burger, you would just have to take the side salad. It’s great to see restaurants now incorporating vegan options!!
Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta
- Baking Tray
- Aluminum Foil or Parchment Paper
- Metal Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- 1 lb pasta
- 16 oz frozen butternut squash
- 1.5 cups tomatos chopped
- 1 red onion can also use half a yellow onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup pasta water from the cooked pasta
- 3 tbsp Italian seasoning optional
- 1 tbsp thyme optional
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tsp paprika optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder optional
- 1 salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and place set up your baking sheet
- On your baking tray, place your frozen butternut squash, tomatos, and onions together.
- Then add your olive oil, and half the spices you plan on adding (and salt to taste). Bake this at 450 degrees for 20 minutes (make sure to flip mix them 10 minutes in)
- While the vegetables are baking, cook your pasta according the your package instructions
- Once your vegetables are done baking, in a blender place all the baked vegetables and one cup of pasta water (from your cooked pasta). Blend this until a smooth sauce is created.
- In a saucepan, combine your pasta and pasta sauce and add the rest of your spices. Cook this until thickened and serve!